If you’re looking for a truly indulgent culinary experience, few things come close to Wagyu beef, particularly Wagyu steak. From the rich marbling to the exceptional tenderness and flavour, it’s a delicacy worth trying first-hand.
Your Wagyu journey begins with choosing the best beef available, and then it’s all about the preparation. Here’s your three-step plan to secure top-quality Wagyu for your at-home dining experience.
1. Firstly, source CERTIFIED Wagyu beef
We cannot stress this point enough!
As a South African Wagyu customer, it’s crucial to ensure that any Wagyu product you intend to purchase is certified by the Wagyu Society of South Africa (WSSA). Certification guarantees several important factors:
- 100% Authentic Wagyu beef (by the breed’s definition)
- That the Wagyu cows have been ethically and humanely treated.
- Certification across every aspect of the value chain, meeting the highest quality expectations.
- Independent scoring using specialized carcass scanning protocols and cameras.
Wild Coast Wagyu is one such Wagyu supplier, which means you know exactly what you’re getting when you order your Wagyu steak with us.
Look out for the certification logo to ensure your Wagyu beef is certified.
2. Choose the right cut
While all Wagyu steaks are melt-in-your-mouth delicious, each cut offers different levels of marbling and overall texture and tenderness. The higher the level of marbling, the more buttery and tender the texture.
Some cuts are trickier to get right compared to others, so we’d recommend starting with something simpler such as the Wagyu ribeye.
It is, however, worth noting that in the case when the marbling score is lower, you can still expect beef of an exceptionally high standard. This is the case at Wild Coast Wagyu. While we strive to continually improve our marbling scores through genetics (our genetics are ranked in the top 5% globally), our steaks will always be of supreme quality due to our sustainable farming methods and relaxed farming environment, which directly impacts the quality of the beef.
3. Preparation is key:
Before cooking your Wagyu steak, allow it to reach room temperature.
- Take your Wagyu steak out of the fridge at least 30-60 minutes before cooking to ensure even cooking and maximum levels of tenderness and juiciness.
- Enhance the natural flavour of your Wagyu steak with minimum seasoning, a light sprinkle of salt and pepper 15-30 minutes before cooking is recommended.
Remember: You don’t have to find an expensive Michelin-star restaurant to enjoy well-cooked Wagyu steak.
Find an easy-to-follow, simple recipe and apply the tips we’ve provided.
It is possible to master the art of cooking Wagyu beef at home with some attention to detail, thoughtful preparation and, more than anything, a respect for the best cuts of beef available.
At Wild Coast Wagyu, we’re committed to providing you with an unforgettable Wagyu steak experience. Order with us and embark on a gastronomic adventure that celebrates the best of Wagyu beef, all within the comfort of your own home.